Boom Sprayer Pesticide Application
Award Type: Minor
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to apply crop pesticides using a boom sprayer in accordance with recommended safe practice.
Learners will be able to:
- Describe how infestations of pests (weeds, diseases, insects and vertebrates) affect crop growth and reduce quality.
- Describe the range of pest control methods available to farmers and growers
- Explain the terminology used to categorise pesticides for crop production, the factors affecting pesticide efficiency and the factors to be considered when selecting a formulation
- Describe principles and procedures for the safe handling, storage, application and disposal of pesticides including appropriate personal protective equipment
- Summarise laws and regulations relating to poisonous substances to include pesticide residues and maintenance of adequate records
- Explain the principles of application technology necessary for the proper application of pesticides in respect of applicator components, calibration, maintenance, field operating procedures and precautions
- Interpret pesticide label information in respect of precautionary symbols, product name, class designation, registration number, purpose, precautions, first aid instruction, toxicology information, disposal, notice to user, material safety data sheets (MSDS) and directions for use
- Prepare boom sprayer for work, including calibration, in accordance with safe recommended good practice and manufacturer’s instructions
- Make up a pesticide spray mix in accordance with good practice including the pesticide product label dosage recommendations and the application area
- Store a boom sprayer and personal protective equipment in a safe and efficient manner according to manufacturer’s instructions
- Apply a pesticide mix with a boom sprayer in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with recommended good practice.